How to read a blog?
It sounds trivial, I know. Yet, I “see” people’s behavior on my blog that seems as if there is enough justification for this post. If you want to understand about blog’ elements I found this useful post Understanding and Reading a Blog (for Newcomers). I, want to focus on the sequence and not the blog parts and layout.
There are multiple ways to land on a blog post, one is following a link from another blog or comment left by the blogger, another way is checking a link from SERP(Search Engine Results Page). From what that I see, the people that land on my blog using search engine tends to see less of my blog. I don’t know if this is because my blog is that bad, they did not find what they were looking for, lack of time or because they do not know the difference between blog and web site. Because people that arrives at my blog from links spread across the web, by me or others, tends to check more blog posts on my blog, I think that there is some true to the later reason. This is encouraging and kind of supporting my assumption that many people don’t understand the blog concept and how to make the best of the blog reading experience.
So how to read a blog?
The most important thing to understand about blogs is that it is not just this current post that you landed on. If you are here to visit, there are few more things that you should consider checking before you leave.
- Click on the title or the Home tab – this will lead you to the Blog home page where the rest of the posts are.
- Then if you are not in a rush, check few more blog posts – scroll down. Maybe the one you initially landed on is not the best one.
- Check the Recent Post, and Top Post lists, mostly located on the sidebar – these will show you what is fresh and what others liked.
- Check the Recent Comment section – see who’s on it – read some comments. You can also follow the links by clicking on the commenter name.
- You can also explore the Blogroll– the selected links out of the blog – this is the blogger’s Favorites.
- Speaking about the blogger (in some cases bloggers) most blogs has an About page with information about the person that writes it. Take a peek, you may find something in common.
- Finally, if you really want to know more about the blog, you can search for it on Technorati or Twingly. There you can find other blog post are linked to this one. You can also find its rank in the blogsphere.
If you like the blog that you just read then you can subscribed to its feeds. You’ll be getting new content to your favorite feed reader as soon as they come out (like Google Reader or Netvibe). Just click on the image that looks like this : and copy the link. Some blogs offers email subscriptions too – I’m subscribed to few really good one like ReadWriteWeb. In this way I make sure that I don’t miss anything if I did not open my RSS reader (I do check my email periodically)
If the About page contains contact info there is a high chance that the author will be happy to connect with his readers, so don’t be shy and follow him on Twitter or become a friend on other social network.
The most important thing that I hope you took from this blog post is that a blog is not a single post. It is a collections of information from and about the blogger and if you have a chance to slow down a little the browsing rush, there is a chance to leave a blog with a little more than just information.
So what is your blog reading ritual?